dismal question resolved

You may find the xslt transformations a useful way of
getting more mileage out of W3.
One side-effect of running the xslt transformations is that
the pages that come out are cleaner, and render much quicker
with W3 as a consequence.
As a test, activate style sort-tables.xsl
and run W3 on some of the layout intensive sites like CNN or
amazon.

    Yvonne> You'll find that almost all emacs commands that
    Yvonne> need input are like this. Type the command, hit
    Yvonne> enter, and have it ask you for input.

    Yvonne> as for lynx vs w3, well to be honest, I use w3,
    Yvonne> but that's mostly because trying to use lynx in
    Yvonne> a terminal buffer in emacspeak is very, very
    Yvonne> annoying.

    Yvonne> w3's probably about the most user friendly
    Yvonne> browser I've ever used, except for the very
    Yvonne> simple fact that it's a total dog,
    Yvonne> speedwise. I'm trying to learn enough elisp so I
    Yvonne> can try and get w3m.el to be even half user
    Yvonne> friendly enough to use, for those pages that
    Yvonne> literally take 5 minutes or more just to draw.

IBM Research: Human Language Technologies
Phone:        1 (408) 927 2608
Fax:        1 (408) 927 3012
Email:        tvraman@xxxxxxxxxxx
WWW:          http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman
PGP:          http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc
Snail:        IBM Almaden Research Center,
              650 Harry Road
              San Jose 95120