emacspeak 15.0 unresponsive.

Hello,
	I'm not really sure where the source of this problem is so i thought i'd
throw it out and see what i got back. I'm trying to run emacspeak 15.0 on
a linux box specifically rh 7.2. The machine is an AMD k62 450mhz with
384 mb of ram and an es1370 sound card. I've installed and configured
emacspeak and viavoice. I've set my mixer settings with aumix. Ok, when i
start emacspeak i hear "This is emacspeak" and the startup soung. I then
hear nothing else. I type letters and do not hear them, i type in alt-x
shell and hear nothing echoed back. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Dave.