Re: EMACSPEAK AND SOFTWARE SYNTHESISERS

Hi. I am more than glad to help you. The first thing that you need to
know is this. The speech software for making emacspeak work is just as
you have stated: to wit: viavoice. This must be downloaded from IBM's
site or, if you wish, I can send you the RPM's and the software
pre-installation "readme's" that come with them.

You are right. I have only a few wires behind my computer, but I
didn't think it necessary to invest in a hardware synthesizer with the
capabilities of the modern sound card, even this simple little
soundblaster 16 I have.

Now, I am not able to address the concerns you have about flavors of
Linux to avoid. I know how this is done on Red Hat only as that is
what I use. The files you need to install are in Red Hat Package
Manager or RPM form. You only need do the following:

1. Go to http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net and get the latest version
   of emacspeak, that is 15.0 in the RPM file. I think it's about 4
   megs or so and it will take only a little while to download.

2. It's a real hassle to find the viavoice files on the IBM site. You
   can do it, but if it is difficult for you, just ask me for them and
   I will gladly send them over to you.

3. Install the viavoice kits in the order recommended in the
   "readme's"

4. While you are on the site for emacspeak, picking it up, look at the
   documents listed there so you will know what environment variables
   need to be set up how in your configuration. Put the necessary
   lines in your ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile file.

4. go to /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/linux-outloud
   and simply enter the word make to put all the speech engine
   software in right order.

5. install the emacspeak RPM and, when this is finished, enter the
   command emacspeak and it should work.

If this doesn't work properly for you, please let me know and I will
be more than glad to help you further.

Sincerely yours:

--
Doug Smith: The Righteousness of GOD,