Re: festival and emacspeak

There was reportedly a problem with running Sun's Java speech
synthesis software under Linux, involving sound interface
compatibility, which wasn't scheduled to be fixed until J2SDK 1.4.1.

Unless Sun's development schedule has changed, the problem might still
exist. I can't remember where I read this discussion, however.

On the positive side, an Emacspeak speech server of sorts does exist.

When higher-quality voices for FLite become available it could become
the preferred speech synthesis option for Emacspeak.