Re: problem

I obviously made a mistake with that last message.

My suggestion is that speak-up might be interfering with Emacspeak's
access to the the serial port. As I have never used speak-up, I don't
know how likely this is, but it might be worth checking on the
speak-up mailing list. As speak-up is a kernel module, there is a real
possibility of a conflict. You may need to issue a command to switch
off speak-up before running Emacspeak.

You could also try
echo This is a test. > /dev/ttyS0
to see if that works.