Re: DAISY reader et al

Here is what happened --

I ran into Markku Hakkinen at the W3C Cannes plenary
reception in early March and when I asked him on the status
of things in DaisyLand --he told me about the myriad of
commercial players being built for Windows.
So I asked him for a sample so I could write one for Linux.

Along with a copy of the Daisy 3 spec, he gave me
"The complete fairy tales of Charles Perrault"
allegedly in in Daisy3  format --
after coming home I wrote a player for it one evening.

I say "allegedly" above because the navigation xml  file I
got from him  does not validate either against the DTD he
gave me then or the eventual Daisy3 spec.

The functionality that is implemented is documented in the
online info pages; when and if Daisy3 content becomes
available --and that content is something I want to read
i.e., not just fairy tales-- I will probably add to what the
emacspeak daisy player does.

    Janina> Raman; Ann's question about the DAISY reader in
    Janina> Emacspeak 16 reminds me to ask a similar
    Janina> question of you.

    Janina> The docs say this is a device for reading
    Janina> DAISY3content. But, there are yet no titles in
    Janina> this format. Indeed, I'm not aware that DAISY
    Janina> has yet adopted ANSI Z39.86 as DAISY3, though
    Janina> they certainly will.

    Janina> So, here's the question ...

    Janina> What titles did you test with?

    Janina> --

    Janina> 				Janina Sajka,
    Janina> Director Technology Research and Development
    Janina> Governmental Relations Group American Foundation
    Janina> for the Blind (AFB)

    Janina> Email: janina@xxxxxxxxxxx Phone: (202) 408-8175

    Janina> Chair, Accessibility SIG Open Electronic Book
    Janina> Forum (OEBF) http://www.openebook.org

WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/
AIM: TVRaman
PGP:    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc