Re: DAISY reader et al

Hi, Raman:

Thanks for the explanation. I know that book. It's rather old, so
was written to an interim spec from about 3 years ago. It was an
influential book at the time because it demonstrated important
concepts we wanted to capture in the spec, but it is no way
representative of the final ANSI Z39.86.

I will get you copies of reference books as soon as some are
available. In fact, I've already asked about the status of these.
Some are in process at NLS, and others will be available from
DAISY.  Please recognize, though, that it will be some
time--years actually--before DAISY3/ANSI Z39.86 content is
generally available to patrons of various libraries for the blind
around the world.

What is available now is content encoded in DAISY 2.02. I
strongly suggest support for this spec, because this is the spec
usd by RNIB, CNIB, and RFB&D, to name but a few. I'm referring to
thousands of titles available through these programs. Some of
this content is text plus audio, most is audio only.

I can also get yopu reference content for DAISY 2.02, and would
be glad to do so. The spec is at
http://www.daisy.org/publications/specifications.asp where it's
available online and as a zip download.

Here's the critical question regarding RFB&D books. Are you
willing to sign an NDA with DAISY in order to get the spec for
unpacking RFB&D content?

Yes, they opted for an obscurity based security solution.  Much
could be said about why, and why it should be different. But,
that's another discussion.

The point here is that RFB&D will be shipping CD ROMs encoded
according to an unpublished specification available to developers

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group