Re: DAISY reader et al

Probably way out of my depth here (nothing new in that), but I would
imagine that if someone is going to go to the lengths of making you
sign a NDA to gain access to the specs that this would also preclude
providing source because anyone who has the sources would be able to
determine the specs fairly easily without having to sign the NDA.

Probably the only way we could provide the sources and not get into
strife for breaking a NDA is if someone just reverse engineered the
software without having signed any NDA with Daisy. However, if its is
as ugly and complex specification as Raman indicates, then this would
be a non-trivial task.

The only other alternative I can think of is if someone is prepared to
sign the NDA, write the software as a stand alone application and
distribute it in binary form. Then it should be trivial to create an
emacs/emacspeak interface to it which would not infringe on the GPL
nature of emacspeak or emacs.

Tim

    Janina> I understand this and agree that protecting GPL takes
    Janina> precedence.  What I'm unclear about is whether the NDA
    Janina> actually prevents publishing source with the
    Janina> unpacker. I'll have to reread it. I know that sounds
    Janina> crazy.

    Janina> On Tue, 14 May 2002, T. V. Raman wrote:

    >> With respect to your second question -- Re: my signing an NDA
    >> with RFB/Daisy to implement a reader for unpacking their books
    >> --I will do no such thing --primarily because such an NDA will
    >> definitely tie my hands with respect to open sourcing the
    >> implementation.>>>>>
    >>
    >> In fact their policy as you describe will preclude any open
    >> source implementation, since their security by obscurity will
    >> not survive an open source implementation.  This is also the
    >> reason why I have not bothered doing
    >>
    >> anything with bookshare.  "Janina" == Janina Sajka
    >> <janina@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
    >>
    Janina> Hi, Raman: Thanks for the explanation. I know that
    Janina> book. It's rather old, so was written to an interim spec
    Janina> from about 3 years ago. It was an influential book at the
    Janina> time because it demonstrated important concepts we wanted
    Janina> to capture in the spec, but it is no way representative of
    Janina> the final ANSI Z39.86.
    >>
    Janina> I will get you copies of reference books as soon as some
    Janina> are available. In fact, I've already asked about the
    Janina> status of these.  Some are in process at NLS, and others
    Janina> will be available from DAISY.  Please recognize, though,
    Janina> that it will be some time--years actually--before
    Janina> DAISY3/ANSI Z39.86 content is generally available to
    Janina> patrons of various libraries for the blind around the
    Janina> world.
    >>
    Janina> What is available now is content encoded in DAISY 2.02. I
    Janina> strongly suggest support for this spec, because this is
    Janina> the spec usd by RNIB, CNIB, and RFB&D, to name but a
    Janina> few. I'm referring to thousands of titles available
    Janina> through these programs. Some of this content is text plus
    Janina> audio, most is audio only.
    >>
    Janina> I can also get yopu reference content for DAISY 2.02, and
    Janina> would be glad to do so. The spec is at
    Janina> http://www.daisy.org/publications/specifications.asp where
    Janina> it's available online and as a zip download.
    >>
    Janina> Here's the critical question regarding RFB&D books. Are
    Janina> you willing to sign an NDA with DAISY in order to get the
    Janina> spec for unpacking RFB&D content?
    >>
    Janina> Yes, they opted for an obscurity based security solution.
    Janina> Much could be said about why, and why it should be
    Janina> different. But, that's another discussion.
    >>
    Janina> The point here is that RFB&D will be shipping CD ROMs
    Janina> encoded according to an unpublished specification
    Janina> available to developers willing to sign an NDA with DAISY.
    >>
    Janina> On Mon, 13 May 2002, T. V. Raman wrote:
    >>  >> Here is what happened --

    >> reception in early March and when I asked him on the >> status
    >> of things in DaisyLand --he told me about the >> myriad of
    >> commercial players being built for Windows.  >> So I asked him
    >> for a sample so I could write one for >> Linux.

> [...]

Tim Cross					E-Mail: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
Analyst/Programmer                               Phone: 6773 3210
Applications Group			        Mobile: 0412 969193
University of New England
---
find / -iname microsoft -exec rm -rf {} \;