Emacspeak 15 and serial synth's

I think I have a serial port and/or device configuration error.  When
using emacspeak 15 and any of the serial port speech servers written
by Jim Vanzandt, I occasionally find that the outboard device (BNS 640
or Doubletalk LT) stops speaking.  Power-cycling the unit will restore
speech.  Any characters that had been buffered while speech was
stopped will be spoken.  It's probably a coincidence, but, this
'stopped speech' most often happens when I'm switching buffers.

Any idea what's happening and how I can fix this?

Thanks,

Dave