W3 issues.

Hello, list. I just downloaded the source tarball for w3 4.0.47, built and
installed it.
However, it isn't working. I am using emacs 21.2. Do I need a newer version,
and how on earth do I get it?

Here is what I did.

I downloaded the file w3.tar.gz and unpackedit in /usr/src/w3
ran the commands

./configure
make
make install

Then, I copied character by character the line Jennifer has in the user
manual and put it in my .emacs file. Restarted emacspeak, and did escape+x
and when it asked me to enter a command I typed w3-fetch and nothing
happened. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
How do I get w3 working. Thanks.