Re: Emacspeak software DTK server: was RE: Linux runtime files

"T. V. Raman" <raman@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> First of all people like you who to
> try to reverse engineer things should be lined up and shot since you
> are responsible for giving open source hackers a bad reputation.
oh, am I?  I can certainly understand your statement, but
you know what I was doing, trying to compile some piece of C
agianst a shared object file I paid money for to be allowed to use it.
All the information I used to do this was publicly available to me
as a customer, namely the reference manual, and a bit of common sense
knowledge about C data-types.
I think you are over-reacting here.  BTW, quite exactly the same is
done in tcleci.cpp, is it more idiological there?

> I have no idea why your install hangs --ask the people whom you paid
> money for support:-)
OK, I always thought interaction with users is a important part
of being the maintainer of a open source project.  But your
view may vary, it's your choice.

P.S.: Did anyone else manage to get the software-dtk-1.0 tarball
working?  If yes, please mail me, I'd like to talk to you about
which versions of libraries you're running...  I even tried to relink
tcldtk.o against libtcl8.3 in case there was any problem, but no go.

>     Mario> Oh, this is great!  Thanks you.  Unfortunately, the
>     Mario> precompiled tcldtk.so behaves exactly the same way as the
>     Mario> version I managed to compile without headers, namely it
>     Mario> just hangs in the call to TextToSpeechStartup.
>
>     Mario> Example output: lexx:/usr/src/emacs/emacspeak/servers# tcl
>     Mario> dtk-soft Using /dev/sequencer, device 0 Could not get
>     Mario> information on device 0 Error playing test note Calling tts
>     Mario> startup.
>
>     Mario> And here it hangs infinitely.
>
>     Mario> Any ideas?
>
>     Mario> -- CYa, Mario