How do we slow down speech?

I'm, at long last, here with Adam for his first lesson on his new
computer.  Fortunately, he learned the QWERTY keyboard back in school in
New York.  His first question was whether there is some way to SLOW down
the speech synthesizer.  I seem to recall reading somewhere (but I haven't
a clue where, now) that the speech synthesis speed could be set in the
configuration file in his home directory.  Is this so?  If so, how?

-- Hugh