buffer has no process

I changed back to my old favorite, RedHat 7.2 and got things to compile,
namely unlike SuSE, RedHat had the rpm for tclx.

I've tested ViaVoice and it's test works, and Emacspeak 7.0-17*.rpm ran ok,
but now when I run emacs, or even emacs -o, I get a silent error down at the
bottom that says *buffer* has no process.  I did a switch buffer, and it
says that *messages* has no buffer.

What did I forget to do?

Alan Mattison