Interesting behaviour with software Dectalk server

When I run Emacspeak with DTK_PROGRAM=dtk-soft the speech server
announces software Dectalk and then mysteriously dies. If I issue C-e
d d dtk-soft thereafter the server starts and works thereafter.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am using the latest code from CVS, if that makes any difference.

I probably won't have much time to investigate the problem over the
next week, as I have plenty of commitments, including preparation for
a trip to the U.S.