dismal build question

If this can't work it won't prove fatal since I already have oleo up and
running.  When I tried making dismal 1.04 from source following
instructions in README I got errors starting with a variable called
proclaim not being known.  It's possible emacs has changed so extensively
this won't compile any longer.  I think I have 21.2 of emacs and 17.0 on
emacspeak.  Has anyone run into a similar situation and how did you work
around it if you managed to do so?

--
Jude <dashielljt(at)gmpexpress-dot-net>