FW: speakup and emacspeak

some solutions to my issue with running emacspeak and speakup together.
Thanks to Mark and Jason.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mirabella, Mathew J
Sent: Wednesday, 5 March 2003 12:57 PM
To: 'jasonw@xxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: speakup and emacspeak

Thanks Jason.
Actually I did find two other options, both using the same kernal with speakup.

1.  set two options in the boot loader, one to load the kernal appending the string specifying a speakup synth... this boot option is to use speakup.  The other boot option should load the same kernal but not specify a speakup synth - this to be used with emacspeak

2.  After booting with speakup, press the key to the left of scroll lock to turn speakup off and then run emacspeak in a shell.  presss the key again after you quit emacspeak to get speakup back again.  I think there is a way to do this sort of thing in a shell script that one can use to run emacspeak.

These options are for using the same synth with both speakup and emacspeak.  Of course, it is easier if you use a hardware synth with speakup and maybe outloud for emacspeak.  for this idea to work, you only have to suspend speakup with insert-keypadEnter or even the key to the left of scroll lock if you like.  The reason why insert-keypadEnter does not work when you wish to use the same synth for speakup and emacspeak is because this only suspends speakup, so speakup is still addressing the serial port thus not allowing emacspeak to do so.

Mat.