misc. bootstrap questions

Hi,

Sorry for these basic questions. I did try searching
the archives.

- I want to buy a separate machine to run linux and
then setup emacspeak and viavoice etc. on it. I want
to learn to write C++/Java programs using emacspeak.
Can someone recommend minimum hardware requirements? I
am thinking of getting a PII 233 MHz, 128 MB RAM.

- How important is it to have midi support in your
sound card. Do most newer sound cards from companies
like Creative usually have midi support?

- I am have been out of touch with Linux for a while.
When buying a machine, are there certain makes of
Video cards, NICs and sound cards which I should avoid
at all cost as they might not be supported by Linux?

Thanks very much for any help.

Arsalan