Key Echo In Emacspeak

I have tried c-e dk but no joy.  First I'll give a propper explanation
of what is happening.  When I'm editing a file and I type the word DOG
the word dog is said but D O G are not called out as they are typed.
I'm using a Juno synth with GNU Emacs 20.7.1 on RedHat 7 with kernel
2.4.2-2.

The Juno synth is the same as the appollo 2 synth, which is produced by
dolphin systems in the uk.

I'm beginning to think that it is something to do with indexing in the
synth.  If anyone remembers the .hal files such things could be controlled
there.  Does anyone know if I am on the right track or has anyone had
a similar problem.