Re: emacspeak/festival/mbrola

Hi Nickolas,

Excuse me answering your question so late. I included
your question in a new section FAQ of my documentation
about emacspeak festival and mbrola :

http://www.pollock-nageoire.net/festival/

but the answer I make is bellow :

I hope that I did not tell anaything wrong about
emacspeak.

Well the ``voice philosophy'' has changed between version 17.0 and
18.0 of EMACSPEAK. First you must know (or you already know) that the general
principal of EMACSPEAK is to associate voices and faces.

In versions before 17.0, different faces were associated to different voices
(different female and male voices when such changes were allowed by the speech
synthesizer.)

Starting from version 18.0 the differences between faces were partially
translated into differences of intonations with the same voice and differences
of voices as well.

Finally you have a mixed system using both voice changes and voice switching.

For the moment EMACSPEAK/FESTIVAL/MBROLA only implements the voice-switch. It
means that the faces changes can only be rendered by switching between
different male or female voices. The intonation modifications required by the
new features of EMACSPEAK are not yet implemented by EMACSPEAK/FESTIVAL/MBROLA
. A piece of scheme code for festival must be written for this purpose and
others.

You'll notice as well that the selection of punctuation (all some or none)
which is one of the most useful feature of EMACSPEAK is not implemented
either. It could be done by the same piece of scheme code :

AND I HOPE TO HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO MAKE IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE !

For the moment you can replace certain voice changes rendering faces
modifications by voice switches. You can do that by customizing association
between voices and faces with the command Ctrl-E C in EMACSPEAK.

It will add a few lines looking like that to your .emacs file :
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(voice-bolden-medium-settings (quote (betty 3 6 6 nil nil)))
 '(voice-bolden-settings (quote (betty 1 6 6 nil nil)))
 '(voice-lock-function-name-personality (quote acss-betty-a3-p6-s6)))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 )