View Mail cursor control problems

Adam Shapiro has been complaining that he's missing the first half of
every message.  Tuesday we got together and read through the manual
together.

>From emacspeak, we invoked M-x vm<ret>; h (for summaries), <SPC> to
view.  It would read the header and stop.  Then space again, and it
would page over the beginning of the message.  And start reading on the

How do we tame this one to make it work, short of using the arrow keys,
one line at a time.

PS.  Adam routinely sets M-e dr 99 <ret> at startup.  Can someone send
me the line that should get dropped in his config file, please?
Thanks.