Re: software dectalk tones

OK, its been a while since I've used the dectalk express and I've
found the software dectalk has too much of a delay generally to be at
all usable. I'd forgotten that both these devices use tones in
addition to the auditory icon sounds of emacspeak.

It sounds like you may have to modify the dtk-soft script - if you do,
perhaps look at some of the others which don't use tones (like the
outlook scirpt) and perhaps modify it in such a way that the tones can
be endable/disabled with a config/variable setting.

Tim

 Robert> Hi No, it's the tones which are sent to the dectalk.  The
 Robert> dectalk express is very responsive when it receives a tone
 Robert> command, but the software dectalk has a delay before the tone
 Robert> is output.

 Robert> Regards

 Robert> Rob On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 09:28:17AM +1000, Tim Cross
 Robert> wrote:
 >>  Are these the tones provided via the auditory icon facility of
 >> emacspeak? If so, these can be turned off with C-e C-a.
 >>
 >> Tim >>>>> "Robert" == Robert Murray <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 Robert> Hi Indentation is fine, I already have it spoken.  It's the
 Robert> other tones, such as when deleting or reading the mode line.

 Robert> I think the easiest solution for now is to edit the dtk-soft
 Robert> script and make the tones do nothing.

 Robert> Thanks

 Robert> Rob

 Robert> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 09:13:35AM +1000, Tim Cross wrote:
 >> indicator rather than tone. Use customize to set this. e.g.

 Robert> Hi I've noticed a rather annoying problem with the software
 Robert> dectalk.  There is a delay before it plays tones.  This is
 Robert> not an emacspeak problem, because it happens with the say
 Robert> command and the demo program as well.  Are other people
 Robert> experiencing this?

 Robert> Is there an easy way to turn off tones in emacspeak?  This
 Robert> problem makes things like reading the mode line and switching
 Robert> buffers very slow to respond.

 Robert> Apart from this problem, the software dectalk is working
 Robert> really well, and it's great not to have to carry the dectalk
 Robert> express arround with me.

 Robert> Cheers

 Robert> Rob

 Robert> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address
 Robert> on the emacspeak list send mail to
 Robert> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
 Robert> "unsubscribe" or "help"