Re: Emacspeak on Red Hat 9 + DECtalk Express?

Greetings all,

I tried changing the box from a Red Hat 9 machine to a Red Hat 7.3
machine. (Without Via voice but with things configured for a DECtalk
Express. Sure enough, it has the same problem with Red Hat 7.3. So its not
Red Hat version specific. Even in Red Hat 7.3 it still says "command error
in parameter." on blank lines in Emacs but otherwise functions perfectly!
:(

I checked the firmware version of the unit. Its 4.4ab Dec 2, 1997.

So I guess the only thing left is its a bad serial cable? I will ask DSS
(Diabled Student Services unit) if they have another serial cable and or
DECtalk Express I can try.

Thanks everyone! =) If this still doesn't work out can anyone recommend a
good software synth to use with Emacspeak and Red hat 9?

Cheers,

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, T. V. Raman wrote:

> Jason is correct  --the first thing to check is the firmware --should
> be 4.3A from May 1996.
> If you have older firmware there used to be a firmware upgrade
> available --but I have no idea whether it's around on the net any
> more.
>
> The other thing to check is the serial cable.
>
> Finally the original poster  implied that the problem was RH 9.0
> specific
> --- something which I doubt, but since he also said he had both 7.3
> and 9.0 boxes around, the first thing to do would be to try the Dec
> Express on one of the 7.3 machines.
>
> There was also an implied question about getting emacspeak with the
> DTK Express running on Solaris, there should be no issue there since I
> used that configuration myself for several years.
>  >>>>> "Jason" == Jason White <jasonw@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>     Jason> What's the DECTALK firmware version? Try C-e d V (note the
>     Jason> uppercase V) within Emacspeak. I doubt there is a
>     Jason> compatibility problem in this regard, but it is probably
>     Jason> worth checking anyway.
>
>     Jason> The Emacspeak DECTALK Express driver configures the serial
>     Jason> settings, which rules those out as a source of trouble
>     Jason> unless there is a hardware or driver issue.
>
>     Jason> I can't think of any further likely causes, but others on
>     Jason> this list may well have suggestions to add.
>
>     Jason> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     Jason> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
>     Jason> address on the emacspeak list send mail to
>     Jason> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
>     Jason> "unsubscribe" or "help"
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> --raman
>

> Email:  raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
> WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
> AIM:    TVRaman
> PGP:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc
> IRC:    irc://irc.gnu.org/emacspeak

Gary Gatling      | Computer Systems Administrator
ITECS, BOX 7901   | Email: gsgatlin@xxxxxxxxxxx
NCSU, Raleigh, NC | Phone: (919) 513-4572 (221 Page Hall)
27695-7901        | http://www.eos.ncsu.edu/hardware/