Re: DECtalk Software TTS still mute on this Debian Woody system

Tim,

Thanks for your suggestions.  After following them, I still don't have
speech from the dtk-soft server.  After getting a compiled "tcldtk.so"
library, I copied it into "/usr/lib" and "/usr/local/lib", where other
libraries are, thinking the problem with dtk-soft involves being
unable to find the library.  I include the new Makefile and the output
of make below.

Thanks,

-Dave

Tim Cross writes:
 > If you have the DECtalk software say program working, then you should
 > be able to get the system to work.

The say program talks well, with Paul voice.

 > >From your listing of installed packages, I notice you don't have the
 > extended tcl library installed. i.e. tclx8.3-dev. I would install it.

It wasn't installed, so, I put it in.

 > I would also change the line in your makefile refering to gcc-3.0 and
 > just leave it at gcc.

Done that, see below.

#$Id: Makefile,v 17.0 2002/11/23 01:29:10 raman Exp $
#
CFLAGS=-g -fpic -I /usr/include/tcl8.3
CC=gcc
LIBS=-ltts -ltts_us -ltclx8.3
tcldtk.so: tcldtk.o
	$(CC) $< $(LIBS)  -shared -o $@

clean:
	rm tcldtk.so tcldtk.o

debian:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/software-dtk# touch *.c
debian:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/software-dtk# make clean
rm tcldtk.so tcldtk.o
debian:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/software-dtk# make
gcc -g -fpic -I /usr/include/tcl8.3   -c -o tcldtk.o tcldtk.c
In file included from /usr/local/include/dtk/ttsapi.h:96,
                 from tcldtk.c:27:
/usr/local/include/dtk/dtmmedefs.h:197: warning: empty declaration
gcc tcldtk.o -ltts -ltts_us -ltclx8.3  -shared -o tcldtk.so
debian:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/software-dtk#