redhat 8.0 tnt and vm problems

Though I got erc installed, I couldn't get vm or tnt installed using
redhat 8.0.  Errors in both cases were not described in the emacspeak
user-guide so I suspect some problems unique to this operating system may
be involved.  When emacs was run emacs stated it couldn't run either
package and I think this is emacs 21.2 on this system.  Anyone else have
this happen and get past it?