Re: Problem with DECtalk Software

I'm sending this back to the list so others can still take part.  On
my laptop, I'm currently using the standard OSS drivers that come with
the 2.4.21 kernel along with sb.o for the sb16 card.  Right now, I'm
trying a static kernel with all sound related modules compiled in.
Now I'm seeing that once inside of emacspeak and after exiting, my
machine seems to be ok but as soon as I try and start it up again
(emacspeak that is), then all locks up again!  This happened to me
twice this morning.  This never happens at home on my desktop running
slackware 9.1, kernel 2.4.24 with ALSA and an SB Live card.  I realize
these environments are different; one works well and the other is so
crash proned, I'm not sure I can ever use it productively.  I like
what I see of emacspeak so far and I like the portability of software
speech but reliability is key!

I wish I could find a precompiled version of flite/eflite around here
I could dump into this small laptop and see if it is more stable.