Re: installation documentation

Hi Vikram,

I just went through this over the last week.  I couldn't find any recent
emacspeak install doc either :-(

Eflite, on the other hand, is pretty easy to install.  You need to download
and install flite (http://fife.speech.cs.cmu.edu/flite/) and then eflite
(http://eflite.sourceforge.net/) following the instructions.  You should be
able to run the eflite test (make test in the eflite directory) and hear
speech.

After you download and install emacspeak, you need to tell it that you are
using eflite.  Although the documentation consistently talks about DTK_TCL
as the environment variable you need to set, the correct variable is
DTK_PROGRAM.  So something like

export DTK_PROGRAM=<path-to-eflite>
emacs -q -l <path-to-emacspeak-setup.el> -l $HOME/.emacs

should start up emacspeak.

By the way, I was also getting a segfault trying to run ViaVoice, and also
running emacspeak, but it turned out to be a matter of updating my sound
card driver.  So you might want to check on that.  I believe you can run
alsaconf to find out about your sound card and then check at
http://www.alsa-project.org for drivers etc.  (I'm on SuSE, not on RH but
that's what I had to do).

Rama