Re: Using emacspeak with speech-dispatcher

Hi Lukas,

From: Lukas Loehrer <listaddr1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Using emacspeak with speech-dispatcher
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 21:54:54 +0100

> Hi all,
>
> using emacspeak with eflite, I aim for the following improvements:

> 2. Have languages other than English, especially German in my case.
  With emacs+speech-dispatcher+festival+mbrola
  I have at the moment English, French and German.
  Indeed English is always needed, I am French and
  I speak German.

> The first point is the more important one for me. I looked around and
> believe that speech-dispatcher is the most promising way to attack
> these goals. One advantage of this solution is that flite can be used
> for English and festival for other languages, so one can still benefit
> from the good performance of flite.
  True !

> What is the best way to connect emacspeak to speech-dispatcher? Are
> there existing solutions? I am considering writing something similar to
> eflite that implements the emacspeak speech server interface and talks
> via speech-dispatcher. Another way would be to make emacs connect to
> speech-dispatcher directly via SSIP.
  Indeed at the moment you have speechd-el which belongs
  to the freebsoft project and which is a speech-dispatcher
  client for emacs. It does not directly allows
  having German and French but I could provide you
  the necessary little enhancements.
  This gives you an interface which is similar to emacspeak
  but which is multilingual. However on some points it
  is not as powerful as emacspeak. I think that the best
  we could do would be to completely rewrite the
  emacspeak-speak module in order to interface the
  high level modules of emacspeak with speechd-el.

  I want to do that as soon as possible but any
  help of lisp programmers would be appreciated.

> The advantage of the external solution would be that it does not
> require any changes to emacspeak to achieve the first of the above
  Sure but it will be heavier if you insert one more
  layer between the already existing numerous layers !
  I think that if we are interested in emacspeak it is
  not necessary to consider the other uses of
  speech-dispatcher. Indeed speech-dispatcher developers
  will take care of that but they probably never try
  to interface emacspeak with it : if we want that we must
  do it ourselves ! If you want to collaborate with
  me you are wellcome !
> goals and that it could also be used with other programs like yasr
> that support the emacspeak speech interface.
>
> As far as I can tell, multi-language support would require extensions
> to emacspeak in both approaches.
  Sure !

> Does anyone have some thoughts or suggestions? Is speech-dispatcher
> the way to go?
  For me yes it is !

> Lukas
  Best regards