Using emacspeak with speech-dispatcher

If you can separate out ssml-voices, generic-voices from the
cepstral stuff, and email a pointer to the resulting tarball,
I'll integrate that in for starters.

Given that the cepstral stuff is broken, I dont think it should
go into the overall package, it will only serve to generate
questions via email.

    Tim> T. V. Raman writes:
    >> If you would like the above code to remain useful, you'll
    >> need to factor out the SSML bits from the cepstral bits.
    >> You and I had discussed how to implement SSML support --
    >> not sure if that discussion made it to the list archives;
    >> But essentially you will need to contribute two files:
    >>
    >> 0) ssml-voices.el An implementation of the mapping from
    >> personalities to SSML codes
    >>
    >> 1) ssml-tts An associated TTS server
    >>
    >> In addition, you'll need to write the functions that
    >> configure the speech layer to use the two -- that code
    >> would be integrated into dtk-speak by me, something I'll
    >> do once the other bits are done.

Hi Raman,

    Tim> I beleive this is what I have done already. Based on our
    Tim> discussions a couple of years ago, I have attempted to
    Tim> follow your suggestions as closely as I could. If
    Tim> something isn't correct, let me know. The tar archive
    Tim> currently contains -
    Tim>
    Tim> In directory lisp -
    Tim>
    Tim> 	- ssml-voices.el = all the SSML mapping stuff -
    Tim> nothing specific to cepstral
    Tim>
    Tim> 	- generic-voices.el = essentially do nothing type
    Tim> file which I use to get clean text out of emacspeak
    Tim> should I wish to use some speech server at a very basic
    Tim> level (ie. no voice locking). This is not needed for the
    Tim> ssml or cepstral stuff - just a quick and dirty
    Tim> interface method potentially useful for generic speech
    Tim> servers.
    Tim>
    Tim> 	- dtk-speak.el - patched to provide matching
    Tim> start/end tags if required (based on current server) and
    Tim> added some bits to allow the cepstral generic and
    Tim> cepstral ssml server to be selected in the same manner
    Tim> as other speech servers using the .servers file etc. I
    Tim> attempted to make things as consistent as possible, so I
    Tim> made the necessary changes to this file so that the
    Tim> cepstral speech servers could be treated in exactly the
    Tim> same way as all other speech servers.
    Tim>
    Tim> 	- dectalk-voices.el and outloud-voices.el = These
    Tim> files reference other *-voices.el files, so I just added
    Tim> the ssml-voices.el for consistency - no other changes
    Tim> are made to these files.  - Makefile - updated the
    Tim> makefuile so that it could integrate into emacspeak like
    Tim> the other files and you could use make to build and
    Tim> install the whole emacspeak package etc.
    Tim>
    Tim> In the servers directory
    Tim>
    Tim> 	- theta - the cepstral tts tcl interface
    Tim> equivelent to dtk-soft or any of the other tcl
    Tim> scripts. Uses the tts-lib.tcl library.
    Tim>
    Tim> 	- theta-ssml - tcl script which supports the ssml
    Tim> version of the interface.
    Tim>
    Tim> 	- cepstral-theta - directory containing the
    Tim> shared library used by the tcl scripts, just like
    Tim> dtktcl.c et al. There are two shared libraries -
    Tim> tcltheta.c and tclthetassml.c
    Tim>
    Tim> At this stage, the Cepstral stuff only supports their
    Tim> old theta API and therefore will not work with their
    Tim> newer version (called swift). However, I still think the
    Tim> ssml-voices.el and generic-voices.el and modifications
    Tim> to dtk-speak.el might be very useful as it would then be
    Tim> relatively straight forward to add any synth support for
    Tim> TTS engines which either support SSML or a basic generic
    Tim> interface.
    Tim>
    Tim> Also available on my website is a patched version of the
    Tim> C sources for the software dectalk (dtktcl.c). The one
    Tim> bundled with emacpseak has been broken since version 5
    Tim> of the software dectalk came out. It might be worth
    Tim> replacing or adding it as well.
    Tim>
    Tim> Tim

WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx