ViaVoice, Debian, Alsa

I am running the following:

FC3 on both an AMD 64 as well as an IBM X31 laptop (x86
obviously).

Here  are details on the desktop AMD 64 machine:
uname -a

Linux labrador 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3 #1 Fri Oct 21 03:57:59 EDT 2005
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

asoundlib.h has nothing to do with the kernel, it's part of
alsa-devel:

rpm -qf /usr/include/alsa/asoundlib.h

rpm -qf /usr/include/alsa/asoundlib.h
alsa-lib-devel-1.0.9rf-2.FC4

gcc:

Name        : gcc                          Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 3.4.4                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 2.fc3                         Build Date: Fri 22 Jul 2005 06:38:53 AM PDT
Install Date: Thu 28 Jul 2005 07:56:26 AM PDT      Build Host: crowe.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Development/Languages         Source RPM: gcc-3.4.4-2.fc3.src.rpm
Size        : 13122117                         License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Wed 27 Jul 2005 08:52:49 AM PDT, Key ID b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://gcc.gnu.org
Summary     : The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
Description :
The gcc package includes the cc and gcc GNU compilers for compiling C
code.

    Tim> Hi All, This is just mainly an informative FYI
    Tim> post. Today, I obtained the 6.1.7.0 rte for IBM's
    Tim> ViaVoice on Debian and am very pleased to report I'm
    Tim> running it fine and its wonderful to have the great
    Tim> Viavoice TTS back again under Linux - its certainly a
    Tim> lot more stable than the software DECTalk - in fact, it
    Tim> has not failed on me all afternoon.
    Tim>
    Tim> At the moment, I'm only running it via the alsa OSS
    Tim> emulation layer. This is because I have not been able to
    Tim> get the alsa version to compile under Debian
    Tim> Etch. Something seems to have possibly changed with Alsa
    Tim> in that there is no asoundlib.h file in the headers
    Tim> which come with the 2.6.12 kernel I'm running. As yet,
    Tim> I've not tracked this down to anything in particular and
    Tim> will obviously have to do a bit of research.
    Tim>
    Tim> Raman, if you see this message, can you let me know what
    Tim> version of alsa you compiled agains. Also, can you let
    Tim> me know what version of g++ you used.
    Tim>
    Tim> Tim

WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx