addendum to viavoice on debian

I think the problem here is that Debian tends to support multiple
versions of Tcl/Tk at the same time. So you can have 8.2, 8.3 and 8.4
all installed and usable together. Personally, this is probably
overkill for Tcl/Tk, but its very useful with other packages and more
than likely better to be consistent.

So, I guess the problem is that libtool or any other tool doesn't
rally know which tclx you want to build against unless you include the
version number in the library name e.g. -ltclx8.3.

I have to say though, I 'm surprised that it doesn't use the
/etc/alterves system and isn't setup so that one package is made the
'default' - this would seem to be sensible to me.

Tim