Re: shell under emacs

"mooncar@xxxxxxxxxxx" <mooncar@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi!  I have installed emacs with speech support,now it works well,but
> the boy who is using that tells me he needs to use the command M-x
> shell, in emacs.  Is it possible to recall the commands that he have
> just issued, like in the linux shell out of emacs?now he must re-type
> the commands...  I have tryied to find a solution but I don't use that
> program-I only installed and tryied if it's working- so if someone can
> help...  thanks in advance, veronica

In shell mode, you can move point around in the buffer.  You can go to
any previous line and hit return at the end of the command line to
re-execute the command.

Alternatively, you can look at the bash man page to see what switch is
needed in the definition of the command prompt to give the number of the
command in history.  Then, if you know that 3 commands ago you used the
same command that you need now, you can look at what the command number
is in your prompt, subtract 3 and use !command-number (that is,
ecxclamation point followed by the command number).

One other solution is to use the history command to get a list of the
previous 500 commands.  pipe this through grep to search for a
particular string.

If you would like a shell that acts more like a traditional shell, in
that you can use eshell.  You can then use the arrow keys to get
previous commands just like in a standard bash terminal.

I hope this helps,

rdc

--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

All generalizations are false, including this one.
		-- Mark Twain