Re: Changing pronunciations and saving them.

Kalyan Mukherjea <kalyan.infinity@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> and was greeted with the message:
>
> Dictionary:  Clear Define Edit Load Refresh Save Toggle
>
> Now which choice to go for?

I have only ever used define, save, and edit.

press d for define.  Then you will be asked to define a pronunciation
that is specific to...  enter mode for the mode, file for file specific,
etc.  Then you will be asked for the word you wish to define a
pronunciation for.  Finally, you will be asked for the pronunciation to
associate to the word.  I have found that the scratch buffer is useful
for getting the pronunciation correct.

If you select "e" for edit, you will be asked for the specific
dictionary you want to edit.  This is a bit misleading, or confusing, in
my opinion, but it might have to do with the fact that I have only one
dictionary file and I think it is possible to have many, in which case
this makes all the sense in the world.  If you want to edit a mode
specific dictionary entry, enter the mode when asked this question.  You
can use tab completion here to auto complete the mode name.  This will
pop you into a buffer that has an interface somewhat like custom.  If
you search for the entry you wish to edit, and then go to the beginning
of the previous line, there are buttons for INS for insert and DEL for
delete.  Here is what it looks like:

[INS] [DEL] Dictionary Entry:
            Phrase: Debian
            Pronunciation: [Value Menu] Pronounce as: dehbian

I have only used this to remove definitions in cases where they caused
problems i.e. I defined the pronunciation for iana to be i a n a and it
conflicts with the pronunciation of words like Indiana and Louisiana.
Do not forget to go to the end of this buffer when you are finished.
The last line of the buffer has a button to save the dictionary.

If you enter "s" for save, you will be asked for the file to save the
dictionary to.  I believe the default (as I have not changed it) is
~/.emacspeak/.dictionary.

> I tried to get documentation (which does not exist, other than the
> code!).
> I tried C-h k C-e Meta-d and pressed RET on `emacspeak-pronounce':

In the info manual, the section for emacspeak-pronounce is 11.48.  It
might be helpful and provide more information than you got from the help
on keys.  >

> I read everything within " " because in other places, it is a matter
> of `No spikka da language'!
>
> I am afraid of doing damage to the default dictionaries by arbitrary
> selecting an option and saving it.

I don't think you should worry about this, in this case at least.  The
personal dictionary, which is the one that you will be editing, is all
yours.  If you mess it up, simply delete the bad entries.  For practice,
create a buffer in which you can define pronunciations that you will not
wish to keep.  Then, define file-specific pronunciations, edit the file
specific pronunciations, and save them.  Then, when you feel comfortable
with what you are doing, if you would like, and you have no other
pronunciations defined that you would wish to keep, you can delete the
default dictionary file.

> Surely, this question must have been discussed at length before
> though I do not recollect any step-by-step instruction like the ones
> that came out  of the RDC-Raman exchange on "Voices".

i Do remember some discussion, some of which I instigated, but I have no
links to give you.  You might want to check the archive and see if any
of it is helpful.

I hope this makes  things clearer,

rdc