EMACS_UNIBYTE and installing auctex

By TTS crashes, I assume you mean software Dectalk.

Note that I haven't run software Dectalk in a couple of years --
primarily because the amount of time it took to support it wasn't
warranted by the small number of users who actually  used it.

The engines I use on a regular basis are the Dectalk Express and
the IBM Viavoice engine.

    Peter> Tim Cross writes:
    >>
    >> Be aware that removing emacs_unibyte may have
    >> unpredictable results for many TTS systems.
    Peter> I did not make myself clear here.  My suggested
    Peter> procedure was start emacspeak as normal, including the
    Peter> setting of EMACS_UNIBYTE start your favourite shell in
    Peter> a shell buffer remove EMACS_UNIBYTE from the
    Peter> environment in that shell buffer with a
    >> recipe depending on your shell
    Peter> Then make auctex the make procedure includes lots of
    Peter> batch invocations of emacs either to byte compile or
    Peter> the generate the auto-loads.  This procedure ensures
    Peter> they'll be compiled multibyte if needed.  This won't
    Peter> affect the tts since it sees the environment with
    Peter> which emacs was started
    >> On a second point - do you actually need to load the
    >> autoloads for jjp - I suspect that as it requires
    >> multi-byte and given the initials being used, this is
    >> possibly a module to support Japanese character
    >> sets. Maybe you don't need that module if you don't use
    >> Japanese?
    Peter> Almost certainly not but it's in the
    Peter> update/make/install cycle for auctex and if you're a
    Peter> cvs addict you may well find yourself
    >> continually having to remove it.
    Peter>
    Peter> Speaking of cvs addiction, I heartily recommend
    Peter> upgrading to the cvs snapshot of emacs.  I was having
    Peter> tremendous stability problems with emacs-21.3 and
    Peter> DecTalk, involving emacs freezing etc.  The TTS
    Peter> crashes as often as it ever did with emacs-22.050 but
    Peter> it doesn't take emacs down with it any more cheers
    Peter> Peter
    Peter>
    Peter> -- Peter Rayner: LSCE/IPSL, Laboratoire CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
    Peter> address: Bat. 701 LSCE - CEA de Saclay Orme des
    Peter> Merisiers, 91191 Gif/Yvette work: +33 (1) 69 08 88 11;
    Peter> mobile: +33 (6) 75 46 56 52; fax: +33 (1) 69 08 77 16
    Peter> mail-to: peter.rayner@xxxxxxxxxxx

WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Google: tv+raman