no character echo after upgrading from v23

well, all I can tell you is that you're the first to   to see
this

    bart> Raman, I have tried both.  The problem appears to exist
    bart> with both.
    bart>
    bart> Bart T. V. Raman writes:

    >> Bart, are you using OSS or ALSA?
    >>
    >> I suggest you A) use ALSA, and if so, note that you need
    >> to build it explicitly by typing make atcleci.so in the
    >> servers/linux-outloud directory.
    >>
    >> Char echo should still work with OSS but I dont have any
    >> OSS machines to test against right now ---

    bart> Hi, I just built emacspeak from the latest cvs and seem
    bart> to have lost character echo altogether.
    bart>
    bart> I was using emacspeak 23 previously.
    bart>
    bart> I have tested that "l a" says a when running the
    bart> outloud server by hand.
    bart>
    bart> I have also manually toggled with
    bart> emacspeak-toggle-character-echo.
    bart>
    bart> Has anyone seen this before?
    bart>
    bart> Bart
    bart>
    bart> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
    bart> address on the emacspeak list send mail to
    bart> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
    bart> "unsubscribe" or "help"