Re: M-x term in and outside X

Hello Kalyan,

Kalyan Mukherjea <kalyan.infinity@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I have seldom used the `term' mode: it is recommended to be used with
> pine but I found it very difficult to write without the use of
> badkspace, delete etc.

I cannot speak on the use of term mode, as I find shell mode to be
better for my use.  If I understand correctly, the use of term mode is
for when you must interact with the whole screen, as with pine, lynx
etc.  I must say here that, although I used to use pine in my sighted
life and did so for years, I can see no reason to use those programs now
as there are several native mail clients and at least 3 web browsers
that run under emacs.

> The recent letters of Tim and Robert induced me to give it another try
> for running programs like mplayer.

I seem to remember you mentioning it before, but why don't you use
emacspeak-m-player?

Try emacspeak-m-player with C-e ;.  It will give you a default path, in
my case it is "~/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/realaudio/".  I then go
to the file that I want and play it, usually a playlist, but sometimes a
single mp3 file.

I did have an issue with locking up the system when listening to streams
for extended periods, usually longer than 1 to 1.5 hours.  I think this
was caused by the *emacspeak-m-player* buffer getting full.  I solved
this problem by editing the ~/.mplayer/config file and adding these lines:

# Write your default config options here!
cache=64
really-quiet=yes
joystick=no
lirc=no

There are many more options, read the man page for mplayer.  The
important line here is the really-quiet=yes.  It will prevent most of
the output in the buffer.  You can then invoke C-e d q, or simply hit
C-g to stop the bit of speech that has just been loaded.

The only drawback that I see to using this method is that you cannot use
wildcards when starting.  You must give a single filename, either a
playlist, an audio file, or a stream file.

> but if I press the UP key or
> Page Up key to move forward by 1 minute or 10 minutes, the forward
> movement is achieved but a horrible buzz starts from the speakers;

I fear this might not be an issue with emacspeak.  I used to have the
same problem with xmms when moving by time in a file.  I never fixed the
problem.

rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford