I need help on Virtual with Emacspeak

Good morning,
Can anyone give me some idea or indicate some link to me to work on a virtual operating system machine because I was working on a LINUX kernel scheduler project with Virtual OS in the lab.  However after I downloaded the kernel and get in the suggested directory, I couldn't use EMACS as my text based editor to modify the opened file such as the Makefile or other files.  Thank you very much.
*I use Emacspeak 23.505, EMACS 21.4.2, Eflite 0.3.9 and Flite 1.2, on Fedora Core 3 and 5
Wess