DELIVERY FAILURE: User whchan (whchan@xxxxxxxxxxx) not listed in DominoDirectory

Your message

  Subject: format-mode-line function

was not delivered to:

  whchan@xxxxxxxxxxx

because:

  User whchan (whchan@xxxxxxxxxxx) not listed in Domino Directory

Could not process part with Content-Type: message/delivery-status.

---- Begin included message ----

Emacs Version: GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d
scroll bars) of 2005-10-03 on trouble, modified by Debian

* I have done a make clean and make. Emacspeak builds fine.

* format-mode-line is not mentioned in the 21.4 NEWS file I have,
though it clearly states in the NEWS file with emacs version 22 that
it has been included since 21.1

* There are no existing bug reports in Debian relating to this

* There is no reference to or definition of the function in the 21.4
elisp sources. However, emacs 22 indicates this function is
implemented in C code.

* This function was not defined on three different systems I have
checked. All are running Debian testing or Debian unstable. One of
them is a fresh install with minimal additional emacs packages.

* Function does not exist when emacs is started with the -no-site-file
and -q switches.

* I haven't found any indication my environment is screwed in any way

I guess this leaves two possible explinations

    1. The Debian build and mods has somehow removed this function.
       There is no mention of it in the changelog for the Debian build

    2. It is a documentation error.

Would it be possible for others who are running emacs 21 to see if the
function is defined and report on the emacs version. Note that you can
yank the version information into your message by calling M-x
emacs-version with the C-u prefix argument. I want to know if this
function does actually exist in version 21 emacs from other
distributions or even if someone else running Debian has it

thanks,

Tim

T. V. Raman writes:

 > I looked into this further and it turns out that function
 > format-mode-line has been in emacs since 2002 so I will not be
 > making any changes to the emacspeak code. Tim, check your
 > environment, do a make clean and a make and if you still have
 > trouble, please track down the version of emacs you have

 >     tvr> Assume this is emacs 21.x --- looks like function
 >     tvr> format-mode-line got added later.
 >     tvr>
 >     tvr> If that is the case you'll get the error *everywhere*
 >     tvr> not just in dired, --- I'll need to re-install the older
 >     tvr> hand-rolled code later tonight.
 >     tvr>
 >     tvr>
 >     tvr>
 >     >>>>>> "tcross" == tcross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
 >     tcross> Hi Raman, FYI I just did an svn checkout and am now
 >     tcross> getting the following error when running dired under
 >     tcross> emacs 21.4
 >     tcross>
 >     tcross> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function
 >     tcross> format-mode-line) format-mode-line((""
 >     tcross> display-time-string)) emacspeak-speak-mode-line()
 >     tcross> emacspeak-dired-initialize()
 >     tcross> dired("~/.poddy/downloads/" nil) *
 >     tcross> call-interactively(dired)
 >     tcross>
 >     tcross> I did a bit of checking and format-mode-line does not
 >     tcross> appear to be in emacs 21. However, it is in emacs 22.
 >     tcross>
 >     tcross> regards,
 >     tcross>
 >     tcross> Tim
 >     tcross>
 >     tcross> -- Tim Cross tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
 >     tcross>
 >     tcross> There are two types of people in IT - those who do
 >     tcross> not manage what they understand and those who do not
 >     tcross> understand what they manage.
 >     tcross>
 >     tcross> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 >     tcross> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
 >     tcross> address on the emacspeak list send mail to
 >     tcross> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
 >     tcross> "unsubscribe" or "help"
 >     tvr>
 >     tvr> -- Best Regards, --raman
 >     tvr>
 >     tvr>
 >     tvr> Email: raman@xxxxxxxxxxx WWW:
 >     tvr> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/ AIM: emacspeak GTalk:
 >     tvr> tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx PGP:
 >     tvr> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc Google:
 >     tvr> tv+raman IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs
 >     tvr>
 >     tvr> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
 >     tvr> address on the emacspeak list send mail to
 >     tvr> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
 >     tvr> "unsubscribe" or "help"
 >
 > --
 > Best Regards,
> [...]

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.