Re: just a newbi problem, want to use festival, not flite with emacspeak

   >     If you want to use festival, your best bet is currently to do it via
   >     speech-dispatcher in my opinion.

   why?  will I not get speech output with emacspeak, espeakf and
   festival combination?

Then do not run eflite.  In my experience, a combination of emacs,
emacspeak, espeakf, and festival run fine.

That is using today's emacs and emacspeak, a 2005 May 29 download of
espeakf, and a version 1.4.3 of festival installed from Debian
testing.  (I am running Debian testing, upgraded this morning.)

   > When I run Emacspeak with `espeakf', a Festival process runs.

   exactly that's why I am confused.  if it rungs and gives the voice
   output what is wrong with that?  why should I try
   speech-dispatcher?

There is nothing is wrong.  There is no reason to try
speech-dispatcher that I know of, except that there is something
labeled `Say' in the menu bar of current CVS Emacs that I think is
speech-dispatcher (why is mysterious to me; I don't see any reason for
it to be there); so it is easy for sighted people to see.

In other words, try emacspeak-espeakf as described in the Info file
called  introducing-emacspeak.info

It all should work with no trouble and be easy using Debian.  (I don't
know about others.  I spend under a second every day giving the
commands to upgrade Debian, Emacs, and Emacspeak for
emacspeak-espeakf; of course, the downloads take longer, but I do not
pay much attention to them.  It is necessary to build both Emacs and
Emacspeak; mostly, that works fine for the CVS and Subversion
snapshots.  Actually, I cannot remember problems with Emacspeak ever,
although I am sure they have happened.  The CVS for GNU Emacs has
given me trouble once or twice in the last six months.  I keep an
older version for safety.)

If emacspeak-espeakf does cause trouble, please tell us.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    bob@xxxxxxxxxxx                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8