can I use Open office files with emacs and emacspeak?

hello,
is there a way to create .odt or .rtf files from within emacs and also
access their text and attributes with emacspeak?
like for example, if I am using a document from openoffice writer
(word processor) can I know the bold, underline etc kind of attributes
of the fonts in the document using emacspeak?
if yes then how?
if no, can some thing be done about it?
emacspeak is such a wonderful desktop that I feel this kind of
formatting will further enhance the usibility of emacs and emacspeak.
by the way I am a programmer in python and I know xml quite well.
if I can be of some help in this context, do let me know.
thanking all.
Krishnakant.