can I use Open office files with emacs and emacspeak?

I have plans to write an ODT mode for GNUemacs, with a view to it
being usable with emacspeak. Once you've split up the ODT file (which
is actually a zip file of a directory of XML files) you can work on
the sub-file content.xml, but there is a lot of markup that is of
little interest (a bit like what you get when you get a typical word
processor to save/export a document as HTML). (My mode will largely
conceal that markup, and translate some of it into displayable
formatting.)

__John