Re: can I use Open office files with emacs and emacspeak?

    is there a way to create .odt or .rtf files from within emacs ...

You can create RTF files from within Emacs using Texinfo.  I do not
know about ODT files.

With makeinfo and texi2dvi, you can readily and directly create Info,
HTML, DVI, PDF, plain text, DocBook, and XML with a Texinfo DTD for a
single Texinfo source file.

In addition, using dvips, html2rtf.pl, and rtf2latex, you can create
PostScript and RTF in two steps, and LaTeX in three steps.

RTF files need HTML, so you must convert the Texinfo source file to an
HTML file first.  Then you can use html2rtf.pl to convert the HTML
file to RTF.

This is what to do:

    makeinfo --no-split --verbose --html foo.texi

    /usr/local/src/html2rtf.pl foo.html

The output file that results is labeled foo.rtf

`makeinfo' comes in the Emacs distribution.

html2rtf.pl is a Perl program.  Internally, it is called HTML2RTF, but
is better known as html2rtf.pl and is at:

    http://fresh.t-systems-sfr.com/unix/src/www/html2rtf.pl

Also, you can generate other output files from a single Texinfo source file:

    ## Info
    makeinfo --no-split --fill-column=70 --verbose foo.texi

Info is the output format I mainly used for listening.  It is fast and
efficient.

    ## Plain text
    makeinfo --no-split --verbose --no-headers --output=foo.txt foo.texi

You can append --paragraph-indent=0 to `makeinfo' command lines, too,
as well as other options; I didn't because it made the command lines
overly long.

    ## DVI
    texi2dvi foo.texi

    ## PDF
    texi2dvi --pdf foo.texi

    ## PostScript, which  needs DVI
    dvips foo.dvi -o foo.ps

So I can keep them separate, I append .docbook instead of .xml to
files in XML with a DocBook DTD and append .texinfoxml instead of .xml
to files in XML with a Texinfo DTD.

    ## DocBook
    makeinfo --docbook --no-split --verbose --output=foo.docbook foo.texi

    ## XML with a Texinfo DTD
    makeinfo --xml --no-split --verbose --output=foo.texinfoxml foo.texi

LaTeX requires RTF, which requires HTML; so creating a LaTeX output
file has three steps:

    ## 1. Create an HTML file from the Texinfo source
    makeinfo --no-split --verbose --html foo.texi

    ## 2. Create an RTF file from an HTML file
    /usr/local/src/html2rtf.pl foo.html

    ## 3. Create a LaTeX file from an RTF file
    rtf2latex foo.rtf

As a practical matter, the Info, HTML, DVI, and PDF output formats
seem to me to be the most important; I seldom produce any of the
others.

    ... access their text and attributes with emacspeak?

I don't know about accessing an RTF output file's text and attributes
with Emacspeak; I listen to that file's text with Info.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    bob@xxxxxxxxxxx                         bob@xxxxxxxxxxx