Re: interesting emacspeak observation help please.

"krishnakant Mane" <krmane@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> while I still can't find out how emacspeak reads command completion on
> the shell, I found one interesting thing.  firstly, I am repeating the
> fact that while emacspeak gives me code completion options for more
> than one possibility when it exists, i am now getting the output after
> completion by read line or read word.  but the thing is should
> emacspeak not read it?

Let me make sure we are on the same page here.  If you run M-x shell,
you are given a prompt.  At the prompt, you type something like

tracer

and then hit TAB.  At this point you should hear the completion of the
word traceroute, which is oute, which sounds like the English word that
is the opposite of "in".  Is this not the functionality you are seeing?

> should I use lynx, w3m or any other browser.  since I wont really know
> how good it will be for reading my emails on gmail and yahoo,
> I want to know before hand so that I don't mes up with my replies etc.

I have never used lynx under emacspeak, but I think it can be done in a
term buffer.  See the appropriate section in the info manual for help in
running terminal applications.

As in my previous posts, emacs-w3m works well.  emacs/w3 works well.  I
have had  better luck with the former.

> and what is the best tool with emacspeak for web serffing?

This is a matter of personal preference.  Try out them both.

> I found lynx with yasr doing pritty good.  but heard many people use
> emacspeak as their ownly desktop.  is it true?  can any one please
> identify himself or herself who uses emacspeak for all the daily
> desktop work?

I think I have mentioned this before, but many of the people on this
list use emacspeak as their interface to the computer all the time.
>From the minute my desktop comes up until the time I shutdown I use
nothing but emacspeak.

> I use google very often for searching information and go to other
> sights too.

There is a lot of google integration for emacspeak, w3, and w3m.  See
the info manual for details.  Also, in a w3 or w3m buffer use C-h m to
see what keybindings are active in that mode.  The names of the commands
are pretty self-explanatory.  If the names are not enough, use C-h f to
see documentation on particular functions.

> I will like to create html documents and then convert it to pdf which
> I know can be done.

There are several html modes for emacs.  See the emacswiki for more
info.  For conversion to pdf, external utilities are required.  Look for
htmltopdf or html2pdf.  I cannot remember which,

> but does emacspeak anounce the formatting of html documents like bold
> letter, font size and alignment?

The best way to understand the capabilities of the browsers would be to
use them.  As I mentioned in a prior post, the voicification differs
between the two browsers.  w3 gives you more information, as it will
render italics, voicify headers differently depending on level, etc.
w3m gives you information, but not as much.  This is not a limitation of
emacspeak, but a limitation in w3m.  It will tell you that text is bold,
if it is a link, image... try it out and see.  You might want to create
an html page with various tags to see how the two browsers react.  As
for centered text and whatnot, there is no way that I am aware of to do
that.  You can turn on one of the indentation notifiers and that will
tell you how far the text is indented, but not centered.

> can emacspeak render html tables through speach formatting?

It offers many ways to handle tables and their content.  See info manual
and peruse the archive for more information.

> Please solve my above queries and point me to correct resources
> specially for guides/ manuals on surffing the web for emacspeak.

Read the info manual for emacspeak.  Most questions are answered there.
Have a look at the emacspeak mailing list archive as well.  For more
general questions see emacswiki.org.

--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

This life is a test.  It is only a test.  Had this been an actual life, you
would have received further instructions as to what to do and where to go.