alsa failing to play auditory icon files on FC5

Just built the alsified eflite server and works fine but on my Fedora
5 machine, the .au files don't play and testing directly with aplay
gives the error message shown below.  I have no such problem on FC4.
Any hints are appreciated.

aplay ask-short-question.au
aplay: pcm_plug.c:384: snd_pcm_plug_change_channels: Assertion `snd_pcm_format_linear(slv->format)' failed.
Aborted by signal Aborted...
ALSA lib pcm_plug.c:68:(snd_pcm_plug_close) plug slaves mismatch