Re: [patch] emacspeak-w3m.el and problems

Can someone expand on why the use of macros is a problem? I'm
interested as I've been looking at providing emacspeak support for an
application and have been experiencing problems with advising one of
the functions. I really wanted to know if there is an issue with using
defadvice and macros that I may not be aware of and I'm always
intrested in knowing more about elisp and possible limitations/issues
that may exist with using things like macros.

In my current problem, there is a function which controls display of
some data in another window. I originally thought I could advise this
function so that after it was called, emacspeak would speak the
contents of the window. However, its not turned out to be that simple.
As soon as I advise the function, it stops working correctly - it no
longer scrolls the information in the other window. Even if I just
advise the function without doing anything but essentially putting a
defadvice wrapper around it, the behavior of the function changes.

I then tried to be a bit clever and redefined the key the function was
bound to to another function which just calls the display function and
then emacspeak to speak the window. This also changes the behavior of
the original display function. The window will get spoken, but it does
not scroll when you hit the key as it is supposed to.

The function in question is definitely a function, but it does use a
number of macros and I'm wondering if there is some weird macro
expansion going on that I'm not understanding.

Tim