[Prev][Next][Index][Thread][Search]

Re: another w3 question

Raman writes:
> The other possibility is that your emacs does not look in
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp for libraries but this is extremely
> unlikely.

That's what happens here.  With emacs 19.34.1 (Debian package
19.34-11), as called by the Emacspeak Makefile, emacs looks in these
five directories for the widget library files:

	.
	/etc/emacs/
	/usr/local/lib/emacs/site-lisp/
	/usr/lib/emacs/site-lisp/
	/usr/lib/emacs/19.34/lisp/

Unfortunately, by default the w3 distribution puts the libraries in
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-list (note "share" rather than "lib").

I got things to work by installing w3 this way:

	make  install datadir=/usr/local/lib

Since I have plenty of disk space at present, I've installed Red Hat
and Slackware distributions in addition to Debian.   Under RedHat
Linux, Emacs 19.34 looks here:

	/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/
	/usr/share/emacs/19.34/site-lisp/
	/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/
	/usr/share/emacs/19.34/lisp/

Having already installed w3 in /usr/local/lib, I installed symbolic
links in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp and they were found.

Under Slackware Linux, the library search path is the same as under Red Hat.

Incidently, I figured out where emacs was looking with strace, like this:

	rm emacspeak-widget.elc
	strace -o log -ff make emacspeak-widget.elc
	grep widget.elc log*|less

strace is a *very* valuable tool.

                        - Jim Van Zandt