emacspeak and emacs 22 GTK bug?

Hi Raman,

I think you misunderstood me. I don't want you to grab a pre-built version. I
wanted to ask if you wouldn't mind checking the describe function information
with the version you have already built from CVS. I'm already working with the
package maintainer to see if the problem lies there.

The issue I'm encountering is subtle and is only revealed iff you have
extra advice defined for view-file other than emacspeak. Just running emacspeak
without any non-emacspeak advice defined does not reveal the problem and
therefore would not necessarily show up in a simple test.

All I wanted was some confirmation that the describe-function operation run on
view-file in your CVS version of GTK emacs is correctly reporting that the
function has been advised. The version I am running is not
reporting this correctly on my system and I wanted to verify that yours is
correct as this would indicate I have some other issue on my system not related
to the CVS sources or the packaged version.

To summerise

 - After starting emacs 22 GTK version and loading emacspeak, do a C-h f
   view-file. Scroll to the bottom of the output where it should say "This
   function is advised etc". If it does not, try an apropos on view-file and
   see if you have an entry for ad-Orig-view-file. Note that at this point,
   view-file appears to work perfectly fine. If you do see this inconsistency,
   you will then find if you load my txutils.el utility and repeat the process,
   both the emacspeak and txutils advice are reported, but now view-file is
   broken and will generate a backtrace if debug on error is enabled.

If you can do this check, it would be appreciated. If you can't, then don't
worry. I will have my download quota renewed in a couple of weeks and will grab
a fresh copy of the CVS and build my self to check.

BTW Note that none of this inconsistency in reporting of advice or any of the other
issues exist in the non-GTK version, which is built from exactly the same
sources.

Tim

T. V. Raman writes:

 > Tim,
 >
 > I dont trust pre-built versions of Emacs, so I'm not going to
 > pull a particular build of Emacs that you might have gotten.
 >
 > It looks like you have a bad  build as best as I can tell.
 >
 > The trust-worthy means of verifying if there is a problem with
 > Emacs built against GTK is to:
 >
 > A) Pull the CVS version of Emacs 22
 > B) ./configure --with-toolkit=gtk
 >
 > I've done this last week and as you saw,  it did not reproduce
 > the bizarre behavior you're reporting.
 > I suggest you write to the person who built the emacs-gtk that
 > you pulled.

 >     Tim> Hi Raman, I've updated to a later version of emacs 22
 >     Tim> GTK version (from 1st May) and I'm still getting the
 >     Tim> same problem. However, I have noticed something else a
 >     Tim> little odd. I was wondering if you could check the
 >     Tim> version you have to see if it is the same.
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> After starting emacs 22 GTK version with emacspeak
 >     Tim> loaded, if I do a describe function on view-file, it
 >     Tim> does not mention anything about the function being
 >     Tim> advised. However, if I do an apropos for view-file,
 >     Tim> there is a ad-Orig-view-file entry.
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> If I do the same thing with the non-GTK version, the
 >     Tim> describe function returns the expected note at the end
 >     Tim> about the function being advised by emacspeak. So, it
 >     Tim> looks like something is not right as they should both
 >     Tim> report exactly the same thing.
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> Note that view-file works fine until you load another
 >     Tim> piece of advice on that function. Then you get the
 >     Tim> max-lisp-eval-depth exceeded error. This does not occur
 >     Tim> with the non-GTK version.
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> In my case, this problem arises with my txutils package
 >     Tim> as it defines some advice on view-file. Note that there
 >     Tim> are no issues if I load my package without emacspeak. It
 >     Tim> is only when the two are loaded the error occurs.
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> Could you start emacs 22 GTK version and just have a
 >     Tim> look at the describe function for view-file and see if
 >     Tim> it reports that the function has been advised. If it
 >     Tim> doesn't, then we either have an issue with emacspeak or
 >     Tim> with the GTK version of emacs.
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> thanks,
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> Tim
 >     Tim>
 >     Tim> P.S. I have also setup an old box and am using this for
 >     Tim> testing. I'm not loading any other packages apart from
 >     Tim> emacspeak and my txutils utility. This is to eliminate
 >     Tim> the chance of the problem being due to some unexpected
 >     Tim> interaction with another package that is being
 >     Tim> loaded. I'm trying to get things down to a bare minimum.
 >     Tim> -- Tim Cross tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
> [...]

tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.