Re: Try New Distro - Same Error

Hi David,

from the directories you listed, I'd guess you are trying to use
emacspeak from a deb package?

If this is the case, then you want to compile the atcleci.so in the
/usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/linux-outloud and use
the /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/outloud script.

I don't use the packaged version of emacspeak, so I'm not fully across
how it is setup. However, I can explain a little regarding how debian
and ubuntu handle emacs lisp files.

The Debian based distros have a slightly complex way of managing emacs
lisp files so that you can run multiple different versions of emacs at
the same time. From your list of directories, it appears you have both
emacs 21 and emacs 22 installed (I would remove emacs 21, it is quite
old and you don't need it. In fact, I don't think emacspeak supports
emacs 21 any longer).

As there can be differences in byte codes and lisp constructs between
the different versions, Debian generates version specific byte
compiled files i.e. *.elc files. It puts these in different directory
trees, such as /usr/share/emacs21 and /usr/share/emacs22.

When you start emacs, it uses the version number of emacs to setup the
appropriate load-path values so that the correct version is used.

It is partially because of this added complexity that I don't use the
emacspeak deb packages. Also, installing from svn is very simple and
doesn't really require a deb package IMO.

--
regards,

tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx