Re: Should we use the emacspeak speech back-end system-wide in Vinux?

Hi David,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:44:01AM -0400, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> Hello Tomas,
>
> It is always good to hear from you.  I hope this is good news!  Will
> speech-dispatcher now work with speakup?
>
> Happy day if so!

This is really a two-fold question.

A while back, Brailcom decided to drop maintenence of speechd-up,
which is the connector between speech-dispatcher and speakup.  Their
site is here. http://www.freebsoft.org/speechd-up.

 I am willing to maintain it myself; I will open up a repository for it
 on github by the end of the weekend, Monday morning utc.

 The reason I haven't done this sooner is just that I've been swamped;
 I'm on the speech-dispatcher team myself, also a gentoo developer, and
 I'm on the speakup team.

I had also worked on the ospeakup fork when opentts was alive.  But,
that went away a while back, with a good solution for everyone involved.
The first thing that will need to happen for speechd-up is that some of
the work from ospeakup will need to be merged in.

Tomas is correct about what the issue is with sd and pulse.  Pulse audio
has made some changes that are making life very difficult for console
users, and unfortunately it is becoming the defacto standard audio
system for several distributions, and as far as I know, gnome-3 will use
it.

William