Speech dispatcher emacspeak server request for help

Bart,

Carefully study the select calls in the TCL  servers. Notice that
you can select on multiple handles,

I dont know how speech-dispatcher responds to your calls, but
 a good place to understand the intricacies of getting snappy
 response when using select is to study its use in the dtk-exp vs
 outloud servers.

Dtk-exp is heavy on select -- outloud -- being  a software TTS
engine, provides a "sync" call that I implemented using the
Viavoice API.