Re: Espeak Server Likes PulseAudio?

The real solution is likely to re-compile espeak NOT to use pulseaudio. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the latest version has a more dynamic form of configuration (which should eliminate the need to recompile espeak for pulseaudio btw). I suspect that as you do have some pulseaudio installed, this new dynamic configuration is getting confused and using pulse rather than just alsa.

Note that there should be no problems with alsa and pulseaudio. Pulseaudio is not a replacement for alsa. It is another abstraction layer on top of it and pulseaudio needs alsa

I've never used speakup, ut this seems to be where the problems lie. I use emacspeak, speech-dispatcher and gnome all with pulseaudio on multiple systems with  absolutely no problems apart from the emacspeak espeak driver being very very unstable. One one system, I use gnome, speech-dispatcher configured to use espeak and emacspeak configured to use IBM viavoice. On another system, I use only espeak, but use speech-el instead of emacspeak because I find espeak crashes far to frequently with emacspeak. The speech-el and speech-dispatcher interface to espeak is much much more stable than emacspeaks interface. I suspect it is related to the use of SSML in the emacspeak driver, but that is just a guess.

All my systems use pulseaudio out of the box these days. I don't use any .ausoundrc file and with most recent ubuntu based distros, don't recompile espeak anymore either. I find speech-dispatcher with espeak to be rock solid. Works great for the gnome stuff and apart from some very minor issues, works well with speech-el. Unfortunately, you need to do a lot of customization to make speech-el as useful as emacspeak. For me, this was worthwhile because the tts interface is so much more stable, even though I don't get multiple voices. I'd love to have time to write an emacspeak to speech-dispatcher interface, but this just ends up another task along with writing a dbus tts interface for emacspeak and finishing my clojure based interface to espeak. Too many half done projects and not enough time. I really want to get back to my clojure based tts interface for emacspeak. It was showing great promise and provided a really convenient way to have both espeak and viavoice support on a 64 bit system which did not force you down the 32 bit space for espeak i.e. all the espeak stuff can stay native 64 bit.

Tim

On 29 March 2013 20:16, Steve Holmes <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey, this is an excellent idea.  That is actually working for me now.  The only down side to this is I can't use sounds from gnome and that probably kills media players like totem or gnome-mplayer.  Not sure about the players for sure.  But at least I can use emacspeak again and still have access to speak up.

I sure don't like PulseAudio's general behavior and never have.